Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for guidance on assigning a status to document libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushCode

Programmer
Dec 17, 2003
US
Have a sub-site in which users can create document libraries based off of a template doc library I provide to them. Essentially its just a structure of organized, empty folders. The users are project managers and each time they begin a new project they will create a new doc library for that project.

What I need to be able to do is allow the entire doc library to be assigned a status. For example, when the project manager starts a project, they would create a doc library and the status of this doc library would be Open. Then whey they complete the project they would change the status of the doc library to Closed.

I don't know of a way to handle this. I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to accomplish this.

I don't think a custom column would work, b/c that is applied at the document level. I need to be able to create something at the doc library level. Perhaps some sort of content query web part would allow me to do this but I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions?

hi
you can store document library's status inside parent web's property bag (SPWeb.Properties) when the key is your list id.

* if you need to initialize the status automatically on list creation, one way to accomplish that, is you to place a custom wp inside the list's default view. this wp will init the status and then delete itself. this way when a new list is created -> default view page opens -> wp does its work and self destroys.

* to allow editing the status, you can provide a custom action on list's settings page, which will open a custom page to perform the task.

genadyv, thanks so much for your feedback. This looks like a great solution. If only I was permitted to do back end programming! Unfortunately my hands are tied on this project, but I'll pass this info on the the Admin team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back