Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for good freeware data recovery software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexwave

Technical User
Sep 28, 2011
IE
I'm thinking of setting up a small business doing data recovery for home users. I won't have money to spend starting up and am looking for good freeware. I have tried pandora and it only does part of what I want. For e.g it only recovers .jpg and not .JPEG files and only MS office documents. I need something that can do all file types. Any suggestions? if there is anything with all the bells and whistles that's reasonably priced I would be willing to pay for it. I intend to use subcontractors for anything that involves a drive rebuild/cleanroom facilities.

i think you may be in over your head if you have to ask this.
not being a smart alec, just honest.

if you are starting a small business in this field you should already have an entire toolbox of utilities and hardware.

that being said, start by looking into knoppix.

If you intend to run a business supporting others, you need to use software that you have written (not likely) or something that you bought/leased that has support.

What do you intend to do when some problem arises and your user() lose data. You do realize that you could be liable for their data loss because you failed to use proper methods. . .

If you start out cheap/shoddy, it will no be long until your service is "flamed" on the various technical forums.

If needed, i suspect you could borrow a bit of "startup" money.

If you're running a data recovery service as a business, you may find that you are contravening the software licence for free versions of some programmes. Read any small print very carefully first...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

If you want to run data recovery as a business, you have to use the software that you have purchased or freeware.For freeware, you can try Recuva. however, it only recover some types of data. Or you can use Card Data Recovery. but it is commericial.

http://www.card-data-recovery.com
Testdisk and Photorec are two popular free data recovery tools. Recuva and PC Inspector are also free and work well.

But these tools will only take you so far. If you're serious you may want to invest in an R-Studio Technician license. It costs around $900. But it's a very complete data recovery software suite.
Another option to consider is the guys at Free Data Recovery they operate a remote data recovery service using Open Source software. And it is all performed remotely from a boot CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back