Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for good ASP.NET spell check control...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turchan

Programmer
Aug 24, 2001
US
Has anyone used spell-check controls in their ASP.NET application? I need to implement spell-check functionality in my ASP.NET application so I would appreciate your opinion on different controls you may worked with. Any input will be appreciated. -Thank you.

If you have word installed on your web server, you can use the spell check functionality in your application. At a past gig, we did that to create spell check funcionality. It was a bit tricky to get going, but it worked like a charm once it was working (and if you have word already, why spend more money on another control?)

Just a thought anyway

D'Arcy

Thank you for advices. User does not mind to pay for .NET control and we are looking for an "easy implement" spell checker as it will be integrated to several projects. I have checked several controls like:
Wintertree spelling server (Chado-Software spellserver.NET (Keyoti RapidSpell Web v2.3.0 .NET ( etc.
I was just hoping that anyone has an experience working with these or similar controls and can give me their input. However I do appreciate your suggestions.

Have used the last two versions of wintertree in asp app that we have converted (rewritten) in asp.net. No experience with the other two so can't offer a comparison but have had no problems with wintertree.

Regards
Chuck LaRue
ADRS Computer Services

jfrost10,

any information about how you implemented a spell check utilizing word?

"...we both know I'm training to become a cagefighter...see what happens if you try 'n hit me..."

As I recall, what we did was add a reference to the Word assembly in our project.

Then, and this is entirely psudo-code-type-stuff, we did something like this:
1. Passed each word into Word's spell check object
2. If there were suggestions, we'd display those to the user and if they selected one we'd replace the original text.

I know that sounds over-simplifying it, but that's pretty much what it was. It was a while ago, and can't remember how much code there was to do it, but I don't think it was a huge amount.

D

To use Word to check spelling is quite easy (but it can be made difficult depending on whether you need to retain any formatting). For a simple example, see:

Also, another good spell-check component, can be found at:

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Forgot to say, a word of warning that as this is an ASP.NET application, the example of using word will actually be quite tricky if you want to offer suggestions to the user of alternative spellings (like jfrost10 mentions in his second point) as you would probably have to use a postback (or a client callback) in order to display them to the user and retrieve their selection.

I proposed using the VB_Helper_HOW_TO_CALL Word from VB for addition on our NET.ASP application. However, was told it would not work as proposed for requires client/server footprint and our system requirements is to have zero footprint. Any thoughts can the word application spell check be used without adding a footprint?

Thanks in advance, DDG

The microsoft word application only needs to to be installed on the server for you to use it's spell checker (it doesn't have to exist on the client as the client is only sent HTML), however, as I said in my last post it will prove tricky if you want to offer these suggestions to the user and personally I wouldn't use it for an ASP.NET application (did you try the Aapose.Spell alternative?).

Thanks, I'll pass it on. No we haven't tried Aapose.spell I'm at a gov. site and funding for software is a .... it took me several months to get powerbasic approved and it was for a single user desktop application. Wow has basic changed since windows, got my application up and going however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back