Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for good Anti-Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Technical User
Mar 27, 2014
US
For home use, 3 machines - I have used Vipre in the past, are there any better softwares?

Expect to pay no more than about $180 for 3 machines.

Have a look at the results at AV-Comparatives.org. Its Summary-Report December 2013 shows Kasperky Lab as Product of the year (i.e. overall winner) followed by, in alphabetical order, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Bullguard, ESET, Fortinet and F-Secure. Any of these should suit your needs.

Hope this helps...

Anti-virus is over-rated. Just go without it for a year and see how you do. Save some money.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I run Sophos UTM at home as my firewall, web filter etc and come with Sophos endpoints for free. UTM is FREE for home use up to 50 IP addresses. Not bad...

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I'd suggest Avast or Avira. They even have free versions.

IF you need a paid solution, I'd go with Kaspersky. Up to 5 devices for 2 years at $149.99 Current sale price.

Stay very far away from Esset. Its the worst I've seen in a long time.

Alternatively you could simply use Microsoft's own Security Essentials and its free.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I have used the MS one, and it failed miserably to prevent a virus.

The Kaspersky solution seems best to me.

I did like Vipre but it seems to have becoming bloated and slows my machine noticeably.

Thanks -

Seriously though - I knew a dude. Never had A/V on any computer he had and never had any malware until 2011. But then I got paid to remove it, so good for me.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back