Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOOKING FOR DATABASE SAVVY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNN

Programmer
Sep 13, 2000
US
Using an Access Database I am planning a table with approx 155 fields which would have to hold approx 104,000 records.

Can anyone tell me what problems I might run into with such a large number of records???
I'll be creating recordsets using SQL by way of ADO. What kind of a response time will I have when creating recordsets and inserting or updating data??

TNN, TOM
TNPAYROLL@AOL.COM

TOM

If you are planning to insert more data into this table, then in the long run you might jump into problems. The only problem is crashing of database. Access database easily gets corrupted. But you can always repair the database :)

If your database grows very fast then it could be a problem in future. But if it grows very slow, then it is fine to go for Access.

But I don't think there is any other problem associated. Yes response time is one more issue. But it depends how u write your queries. So be careful in your queries ;)

If you're planning on 5 users or fewer, then try the MSDE (desktop version of SQL 7). If at some point in the future it runs out of steam, you can copy it's .mdf and .ldf files over to a full copy of SQL 7 with no problems (they use the same format on disk).

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back