Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for CMS with static and blog page options

Status
Not open for further replies.

archer007

Technical User
Jun 18, 2008
GB
Hi. I am creating an intranet site for an educational institution, and I need some help picking out the CMS that I am going to use. The site needs to be informative and collaborative, with an emphasis on blogs and encouraging idea sharing among teachers. For instance, different pages in the site will be for different departments and/or categories like Maintenance.

On each of these pages, a static content area would display semi-permanent content like forms and information that employees need to know. Immediately following this static content area would be another content area where regular updates are posted in a blog-style format. Finally, to the right of the static content and the blog style updates would be an RSS feed of the blogs of all people associated with the currently selected department.

The institutional logo would be displayed in the upper left corner. Navigation for the site would be accomplished by using tabs (for the different departments) and left-hand side links.

Is there a CMS that can let me do this?

The trouble with my specs is that all of the features that I have mentioned are usually a site-wide implementation instead of a per-page implementation. Some CMS’ have blog functionality, but they may not support having a “hybrid” page with semi-permanent content, a blog, and an RSS feed.

I am not averse to programming, but I would love to know if there is a CMS that just lets this be done in a drag ‘n drop or click and point way.

Really, probably any of them would cover all of this for you. I know that Drupal can cover all your needs, no problem. I recently started redesigning our church website with Drupal, and am really loving it.

The only real problem I could see with Drupal, if you want to call it that, is that there are just so many things you can do with it, sometimes I think it's hard to decide what you want to mess with "today."

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back