Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for backup solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtime

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
I am looking for a simple solution of backing up 3 seperate sites. All are connected by a VPN, but I am looking to backup about 5 GB of information (To start) from both sites. Should I just forget about the VPN and just backup each office onsite, or can it be done from 1 office?

What's the bandwidth between sites, and how much does the data change day-to-day? If it's mostly little static files (like most user home folders on the file server) then you might get away with pushing a differential file copy to one office and then backing that up. Otherwise, the best way would almost certainly be to back up the sites individually (and remember to occasionally verify those backups, as they're easy to forget about).
-Steve

How would one go about setting up a differential file copy? Is that some sort of Xcopy command or are there programs to simply the process? We are just talking about Documents.

I'm sure there are programs that will do it, but xcopy with the right switches will as well. Do an xcopy /? and you'll have everything you need.
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back