Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for an open source solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

derajer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2005
US
I need a free web proxy/security solution. What do you guys use?

I have only been with this company for about 10 months and I have been slowly working at improving the IT infrastructure. I upgraded the email server (from 500 MHz box), implemented ASSP, automated backup (no, there was no email backup before I arrived), implemented Express Metrix Inventory, and dealt with a whole host other problems. Despite the fact that I am overworked, underpayed, have received no thanks from the executive types, and now they tell me they want web access and security features without spending anymore money. The point is I'm in a tight spot, the company is only about 75 employees (ie I am the IT dept.) so I have no more money to buy a hardware solution.

I think a good solution is put a linux box and configure this as a router and proxy using firestarter and squid,
You can use your old 500 MHz box for this with red hat 8.0/9.0 or similar .

for more help check firestarter webpage and Squid Webpage.

for more help let me know

coco10

Are there any easy FAQs on setting up Squid box? I have a box I can stick LINUX & Squid on but the configuration of the proxy has me stumped.... Thanks
Stressed school tech

I settled on SmoothWall which is a full firewall with a squid proxy built it. It is a standalone version of linux that is very easy to install and maintain. It did require me to install several add-ons to get the filtering capabilities that I want, but other than that it has been great I would reccomend it to anyone

Hi Derajer,
These add-ons where did you get them and how do you then install them?
I Have smoothwall running including the proxy server (it was the caching server that I wanted) Thanks

Hi a search for smoothwall will find their web site. Download the ISO ond burn a CD using Roxio or similar .Find an old computer and use the CD to boot from. NOTE this will wipe the hardrive and install smoothwall. All setup instructions are on their site.

I now have a working "Smoothwall and Dansguardian" system running on my school network, serving 120 XP stations, Cacheing and filtering/custom blocking sites and all configuered through a web interface.Its Brill!! Check out Smoothwall.org
The best use of an old desktop. B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back