Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for advice in emigrating to USA doing IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henk1

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
ZA
Hi,

I am from South Africa, and would like to emigrate to America.

Just a bit about myself.
I do not have any formal tertiary qualifications, but have 6 and a half years experience in programming. I started doing Cobol, moved to lotus notes and have for the last 4 years been doing web development in vb and lately C#, as well as database designing/development in SQL Server.

I am currently getting (converted to $$) just under $21000 per annum. I live "fairly" comfortable in South Africa on this salary, but the holes are starting to show. Is it realistic for me to expect to emigrate to America, and get more than that? And will I be able to live on such a salary, supporting me and my wife, and planning kids in the near to medium future?

What are my chances of getting a job in America, without any formal tertiary qualifications? And where/how should I begin to look for this potential job? Are there any recruitment agencies that are (specifically) looking for international employees?

I would appreciate any advice or information that anyone can give.

Thanks for the help.
Henk.

This might get the ball rolling for you....

thread654-714807

Thanks for the help.

I will read through there and ask more questions if I have any.

Thanks again.

It's always possible. Depends on where you go.

Get over here first, and then start sending your resume's to employment agencies. Go in personally.

It will be slow to start, but if you know what you're doing, they can usually set you up.

Then keep looking. The rural areas in the west and mid-west don't have many computer-literate people.

Metro areas have very high competition, but also more opportunities.

I don't know all the answers, all I can say is that, yes, it's possible.

Well, thank you kindly for the answer. My biggest problem is that I do not want to take the chance of moving there, and then sitting without a job. I have quite a stable job and the salary is alright, and I don't want to just risk that without considering the situation completely. The problem is the opportunities here in South Africa is becoming less.

Everything here is about affirmative action, and although I have no problem with a colored or black person getting a job above me, it places me in a difficult position. I need to further myself and seek opportunities to get ahead of the rest. And I fear those opportunities are slowly disappearing.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies. I will consider my options and let you know what I have decided.

Sometimes we in the States forget that our "difficulties" are pretty insignificant compared to some other countries...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Don't make the move just for a job opportunity. It's an extreme life altering decision that you are making. And I doubt you will get away from affirmative action, at least not in Canada.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Something else to consider is that there is a lot of ill-will and animosity in the US IT job market over so many US jobs being sent offshore and turned over to H1Bs. There are a lot of unemployed and under-employed IT people pushing to make this a political issue. Personally, was unemployed 13 out of the last 24 months and have seen my net income drop by 40% since 2001.

If you're relatively happy and comfortable, I'd suggest staying where you are. As my mentor was fond of saying, "The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

< M!ke >

Very True, M1ke!

I have in the mean time re-thought my situation and decided that I will not be going to america.

A couple of other countries are in scope though.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the late response.

I work for a gov't contractor and it seems they prefer foreign visa workers over their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back