Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a way to password protect web access on an entire network

Status
Not open for further replies.

motti

Technical User
Dec 19, 2006
US
I am looking for a solution to allow me to password protect access to the web as follows.

I want any computer that plugs into the network, without installing specific software, when it gets its connection to the network, to prompt for a password before allowing any access to the web, if there is no password given i still want access available to email, but no web access.

I think this may be one of the options or something close that is available in the many features of Untangle
They have free open source software which you can run on your own hardware (but it only gets along with certain hardware/chipsets; but when it works it is dead easy to load and use), or they sell it as an appliance.
gr

This can be acomplished with any decent proxy server. See forum849.

Proxy servers will work.

Depending on the size of your network/requirements you have different options.

I would take a look a m0n0.ch. They offer a great smoothwall, I've used the Captive Portal in it for many situations and it will do exactly as you are requesting plus more.

Another thing: It's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back