Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a USB powered wireless ethernet adaptor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazarX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2007
US
I remember a wireless g solution that I found particurlarly elegant for adapting old iMacs to wireless g technology. I believe it was called Air Net or somesuch. It was a wireless ethernet adaptor that could be powered by the iMacs USB ports.

Anyone else hear of this little beast and know if it's still around?

There was an older one I have used for color iMac's (1998) running OS9 that worked great. I assume you are looking for OS X adapters:

<
This is USB. Have not used it myself.

Actually I am looking for USB to 10/100BT Ethernet adapter for OS X. If you come across one, let me know.

Charles

Charles,
You want to have look here:
It discusses chipsets on adaptors and the driver required.

I bought a Belkin F5D5050 and use the Pegasus driver on my iMac with 10.3.9 after an electrical spike nixed my ethernet port wired to a router (also bricked). I tarried with a USB wireless adaptor, but the driver kept causing kernal panics when unplugged.

soi la, soi carré

Excellent article on USB2Ethernet drivers for OS X.

For completeness sake, I also tracked down a $25 part sold at CompUSA made by SMC that you can download the Mac OS X driver from the manufacturer's website.

SMC2208USB/ETH

smc.com has the driver in their support/download section.

Thanks for the tip,

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back