Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a special purpose internet monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfwriter

Technical User
Jul 22, 2006
US
I am looking for a software program to monitor and control realtime internet traffic (not as a spy system, but for control of an ultra-slow internet connection).

The situation -- For 4 months a year I live and work in a rural area without high speed internet service. I use a dial-up connection on a dedicated line and leave it on most of the time between actual browser or email use. (Yes, it's a real drag!) Very often, when I want to open email or browser, I find that transmission is occurring which I have not initiated, and I assume that this is auto-updates and other innocent traffic. Because the line is so slow, such transmissions can go on for hours! and I remain totally in the dark about what's going on. (I use Mozilla Firefox and Outlook Express.)

Naturally, I want to know what is going on, and be able to interrupt it (temporarily or permanently) so the slow line doesn't need to be shared with my work.

Is there a software out there which will monitor realtime online activity, be instantly visible on demand, tell me what, who, and how large a file is downloading, and allow me to pause or stop it?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back