Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyderman98

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
I have a Windows 2003 Server with Terminal Services implemented for about 10 users utilizing thin clients on my network. I have another hand full of salesmen who would like to access the Terminal Server remotely. I've kicked around the idea of using Citrix Presentation Server as a soultion. I want to make absolutly certain that any remote connection to the TS is secure. I'd also like to control the applications those users access remotely. I'd appreciate some feedback from some admins if Citrix is the best solution. (salesmen need not apply :) )

I am trying to install a demo copy of Presentation Server. But, the documentation is extensive and Citrix support is obviously out of the question. I have another MS 2003 Server sitting here doing nothing in anticipation I'd need to install some Citrix server components on it. But, I'm confused as to the correct implementation of the Citrix software.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some insite here or direct me to another less confusing solution.

Thanks in advance...

Make a list of the feature requirements of your clients, then compare the list to terminal server's feature-set. If the client's requirements exceed that of terminal server's base feature-set, then look at 3rd party add-ons. Citrix is a very popular add-on for terminal server, because it's the most feature-rich add-on suite for TS. If you don't need a lot of the features of Citrix PS, then look at less expensive programs that better match your needs, i.e. if you only need to publish applications, programs like 2X Application Server are inexpensive and easy to deploy.

Both Microsoft's RDP Protocol and Citrix' ICA Protocol are encrypted. It's very common for companies to open port 3389 to an internal Terminal Server, or 1494 to a Citrix Server, so users can connect over the public Internet. It's also common for companies to need to connect over SSL, because ports 3389 and 1494/2598 may be blocked by remote routers. In this case they use Citrix Secure Gateway, Tunnel2, or a SSL VPN Hardware Appliance.

Comprehensive list of categorized 3rd party Terminal Server Add-ons:

Citrix Presentation Server Info:

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back