Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a "broadcast repeater"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioActiveLamb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
I have an application that relies on broadcasts to make a connection to the clients. This hasn't a problem, until I pushed some clients to another office that is connected by VPN. Unfortunately, our VPN only has an option to forward certain broadcasts (Netbios, DHCP), but not ALL TCP/UDP broadcast packets. I understand the reasons NOT to forward these packets, based mainly on performance issues, but I'm willing to take the hit. Is there some solution out there that will listen for broadcast packets and forward them to a remote host, which in turn rebroadcasts the packets with the original source IP? Both LANS have Windows 2000 servers and are on different subnets.

Thank you
- Jeff

I know that you used to be able to do something like this through Cisco routers by implementing the 'helper' address. Other than that, I've only seen stuff that tried to filter broadcasts, not replicate them.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back