Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a new VPN solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mletendre

Technical User
Dec 30, 2008
US
Helo, we currently have a Cisco ASA 5505 that we had set up a VPN user through.

she is our accountant and needs access to our Quickbooks file, so we set her up with VPN so she can connect through and use her copy of QB to connect to our financial data.

The issue is when she connects it is insanely slow.

Is there a better solution for providing a VPN for her?

what part is slow? is she accessing the quickbooks database from her home machine? or is she rdp'ed into a workstation at your location? is she using dial up? dsl? cable? if she is using her copy of qb on her home pc...ya thats going to be slow cause you are making database changed over the vpn. set a pc that she can remote in to at work. will go much faster

She is not using remote desk top. we only have a few static IP addresses and machines here, so remote desktop isnt the best solution.

Even going through the file structure is terribly slow, it literally takes minutes to drill down from one parent folder to see whats in it's contents.

more bandwidth would solve your issue. there is no vpn solution that would speed it up. i would still explore rdp in to a workstation or have her copy the database to her pc...make changes, then copy it back up

Actually from what I have read there are alot of people who have the same issue with the ASA 5505s so i am seeing if there is some way to go through that route.

we have comcast business class witrh 22 MB/s down and 5 MB/s up

Just to let you know it isn't the ASA. I tried that in my internal network with QB and was very slow. She would be better remoting into her pc at the office try logmein.com.

The issue is that she does not have a PC in the office. We have other people who all connect to the database that sits on one machine from internally and it is a little slow, but nothing too bad.

The speed isnt even with QB it is even just looking for the company file through the file structure, it literally takes a few minutes to go from one folder down to the next!

PS if it helps at all its QB 2009 enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back