Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a NAS... want your recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I need a NAS, here are my requirements;

*minimum of 2TB of storage. Storage expansion not necessary, but would be nice

*RAID 1 or RAID 5
*Dual NIC

*AD integration or some way of mapping drive from user's pc (pc are in a Workgroup environment and not part of domain) to NAS. something that will give NAS device some sort of security.

*External Web or FTP access. some of my users will need to access this NAS from their house, etc or a remote office without VPN.

If you guys can recommend a few NAS devices for me to check out. I have found IOMEGA, Buffalo, and Thecus.

Mark C.

How about freenas ? setup a server, install freenas, you have the ability to setup raid as you want, you can stuff in as many nics as you want, and can integrate in AD. And expandible :)

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

I checked out Freenas and for me to buy parts, etc... I'm only a few $100 shy of buying a manufatured NAS unit with warranty, etc. I dont have any pc's lying around that would suffice. ALthough, I might try to get my hands on some parts and test it out.

I've found 3 devices;

Buffalo TeraStation III
Lacie 5big Network
Synology DS509+

Anyone have any recommendations on any of these 3 devices? I'm leaning more towards the DS509+ or the Lacie 5big Network.

Mark C.

Also have a look at Thecus ( They have a great range of NAS devices. I like FreeNAS as well and also OpenFiler but I can see your point as for small NAS requirements some of the pre-built boxes are very good value and offer a lot of facilities.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back