Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a laptop slave jumper for hard drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbreeze68

Technical User
Sep 11, 2007
US
I am trying to connect my son's laptop hard drive to my pc with an adapter, but when the pc boots, it doesn't see the laptop hard drive. I assumed that it was because the laptop is set up to be the master, but my SATA drive overrides this. I attempted to use a pc hard drive jumper, but it is too big. Does anyone know where I can find a smaller jumper?

Sata does not use jumpers for master/slave. Is this hard drive showing in the bios? What windows is on the laptop hard drive and what windows is on the computer your booting from?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

@electronicsfreak: No, the drive is not showing up in bios, and I am running winxp on both systems.

@acewarlock: yes, the drive is spinning.

I am not sure I worded my question correctly. Are there jumpers available for sale that are small enough to fit a laptop hard drive, and if so, where would I purchase them?

Thanks.

Most computer stores will have these jumpers for sale. Be sure to establish the correct location to install this jumper to set the drive to slave or master. Google the make and model of your drive for this information. Furthermore, make sure that you enable both IDE channels to make sure your son's laptop drive is accessible to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back