Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a good Firewall VPN Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scully87

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
US
I've been looking at firewall options lately as we are getting ready to do some upgrades.
I'm getting ready to do an Evaluation on a SonicWALL PRO3040 as well as their SSL VPN device.
I'm also getting ready to do an Evaluation on a WatchGuard firewall and their SSL VPN device.

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on either of these vendors or a solid solution they are using.

Thanks,
Scully

We use 4 WatchGuard Firewalls and have been very happy with the units. They have been reliable and dependable. We have not tried their SSL VPN Device.

Dan

Thanks dput appreciate the response.

I've deployed Watchgaurd and Sonicwall. I think Sonicwall is easier to configure and more intuitive from a managing standpoint. My usual rollout is Sonicwall for content filtering, web logging/restriction, and Cisco Pix on the outside. I've found this to be a powerful combination.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

Thanks iownroot,
That is an interesting combo.
What is the PIX for?

I use the Pix to do most Layer 2 and 3 filtering, acl, etc. The Sonicwall interface is very user friendly and is a good choice if you want to train department managers and supervisors on monitoring traffic and content. I like the Sonicwall more for it's application level functionality and it's more of an easy to use "what's coming in and out of my network" solution. The Pix is more like my infrantry team, the front line guy. Some things you want to stop and layer 2. Which the Sonicwall does not really do effectively. Also, Sonicwalls tend to hiccup more when you have multiple VLANs. On the other hand, Pix's were designed with this in mind.

Also, the Sonicwall side gives you some nice control over desktop/client access. For example, in all versions of Sonicwall (except maybe the smaller Soho's) there's an option that will allow you to keep all clients from connecting to the internet (or going outside the gateway) if those clients don't have antivirus installed. It also won't let them connect if they don't have the latest signatures. While many other vendors offer the same functionality, the Sonicwall one is the easiest to use I've found. It makes higher ups very happy when they can http to an ip and see internet traffic reports etc. (Please make sure you give them read only permissions though!!!!).

Hope this helps.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back