Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

titresfct

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
CA
Hi,

We are a small business of about 40 employees, we are looking for an affordable firewall solution. We will be expanding into a second building so VPN capabalities are a must. So far we came across two firewalls that could do the job the Fortigate 60b or the Sonicwall TZ 190. Any suggestions on which is best? Or does anyone have any other firewall to suggests?

Thanks

There are plenty others like Cisco, Juniper, Watchguard, etc.. + the ones you already mentioned. It really depends on your technical comfortability, what your used to, what additional functionality you would like besides it being a firewall.

The thing that you need to address more than user count is the bandwidth requirement your going to ask from it. If you are going to use the additional security feaures bundled into a lot of these appliances, then those take up CPU and RAM which hit throughput pretty hard. A Sonicwall Pro series 1240 with all services turned on is stated for 5Mb of throughput.

That being said, I personally have the Sonicwall appliances (some Pro and about to get some NSA series) and love them.

I wish I could say good things about the Fortigate 60b but ever since my Fortigate 60b started to give me problems, and than finally died on me after two months, I quit using it. It was a frustrating experience since their Tech Support try to help me but had no luck. My VPN Tunnels were dropping and internet connection was inconsistent.

A friend recommended the VPN1400/2, it has two WAN ports and support for up to 50 VPN Tunnels. I've been using this unit problem-free for two years now. If I had to recommened a firewall with VPN I would choose the VPN1400/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back