Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a better way to report on a questionnaire finding. Mapping a value to each question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
I am designing a questionnaire project similar to what i did last yr using InfoPath for the questionnaire, SharePoint to house the questionnaire and access to query the results. I am looking for a better design in the way we calculate the results (if possible).
Last year I had a Specification table consisting of the document id, fieldname (question answer) and the value of the question. I wrote VBA code to build a result table with totals for each country that answered the questionnaire. So I simply read the questionnaire table, took the answer they entered and computed it against the matching question in the specification table.
Is there a better way to do this. It worked, but there are a lot of smart people on this site, I am interested in a more robust way to
tabulate the results.

A simple totals query might work or possibly a crosstab query. It all depends on your table structures and your desired results.

Can you provide the tables, fields, and relationships? What type of totals do you want from your data?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I have a table named questionnaire_fields which contains doc_id, country, enteredBy, businessUnit followed by a field for each question. Questions that contain repeating data ie. "select all that apply"....are contained in tables that contain the doc_ID and the field (referring to that particular question). Everything is linked on Doc_ID.

I expect if you want to make any usefull tallies of your data, you will need to normalize it with a union query. Once normalized, you can use a totals query to tally the counts of answers by country and question.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back