Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking at the base of many modern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Looking at the base of many modern analogue telephone handsets, they seem to be invariably marked as REN 1. Is this value exactly 1 or is it just rounded up or down, and are there phones on the market which are less than 1 REN? I realise this would probably mean a quieter ringer... What would be an accurate way of measuring the REN? AC milliameter? Oscilloscope?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

IIRC, REN = Ringer Equivalency Number. Essentially the number of ringers connectable and simultaneously ringable on a single line. There is a measurement of the ringer frequency response (Hz) designated by letters but I think there are only a few choices. FCC certification spec.

Ok thanks for that... I have an older model phone (no REN number marked on it), which I'm sure takes more than 1 REN, and doesn't ring properly when other phones are connected to the same line. Maybe I'll replace the ringer with one that uses less juice.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back