Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look up matching values and return value to cell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

futbuk

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
CA
Sheet 1 has 2 columns (A & B) -A column is a description and B column is the cost of the the item being described
Ex.
Sheet 1
Column A Column B
Tool $2.00
Desk $200.00
Chair $50.00

Sheet 2 has the same 2 column headings as Sheet 1 and Column A has the same descriptions as found in Sheet 1 (but in a different order)However, Column B does not have a cost associated to it.
Ex.
Sheet 2
Column A Column B
Chair (blank)
Tool (blank)
Desk (blank)
I need to populate Sheet 2 Column B with the cost from Sheet 1.
So... If Sheet 2 Column A description = Sheet 1 Column A description then return the value of Sheet 1 Column B (the cost associated with description) to Sheet 2 Column B
I feel ridiculous asking this question but my brain just does not want to cooperate today.....

Look at the Vlookup function. To make things easier, select just the data on sheet1 (tool through $50) and give that range a name.
Then on sheet2, click next to chair in columnB and type =vlookup(A2,Rangename,2,False). Enter. Then drag down columnB to use the autofill and relative referencing to complete the data.
Note: In the Vlookup function, the first parameter will be the first description's cell name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back