Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look up fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendoaccess

Technical User
Mar 28, 2006
GB
Hi

I have a look up table "tblContractors" with ContractorsID (autonumber) and ContractorName as short text - as several other post herein note, I get the ContractorsID number in forms when I want the ContractorName due to limitations of the lookup approach - I see fixes aplenty for combo boxes but no suggestions for alternative ways to do approach the issue. I will have an unlimited number of Contractors: how else should I store them apart from in a separate table, and how else should I reference a particular one than a look up?

Now that I am in this pickle, how can I get the ContractorName to appear in a text box in my form?

Sorry if this seems like a moan. :(

Thanks

Could you elaborate on "limitations of the lookup approach"?

In my opinion, your approach is correct. You keep all data for Contractors in one table, and reference any Contractor in any other table by ContractorID ONLY, so you can retrieve Contractor's names from your tblContractors

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I agree with Andy. This is the proper way for relational databases to work. You store information like ContractorName, addresses, etc. in one record in one table.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back