Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look up AD group info and return GROUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

theniteowl

Programmer
May 24, 2005
US
Hi All,
I have a script to look up an Active Directory group and return the members but we have found that it does not return members who are actually other AD groups.

I get a list of 6 or so members that are individual IDs but there are three groups that I know are assigned as members of the group in question and this info is not returned when looking at .Members.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

Posting the script would help to answer your question. As is my best guess is that specifying "subtree" is the answer you're looking for.

It's just the basic AD lookup script you can find most places. It only returns individual names rather than groups though.
Here is the code.
Code:
strDomain = "MYDOMAIN"
strGroupname = "My_Group_Name"
oustr = ""
Set adsGroup = getobject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strGroupname)
Set adsMembers = adsGroup.Members
For Each varItem in adsMembers
outstr = outstr & varItem.Name & vbCrLf
'msgbox varItem.Name
Next 'varItem

msgbox outstr

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

WinNT provider is not global- & universal-security-group aware. It was not allowed for the legacy win nt-domain. You've to use LDAP provider for the task. R Mueller's site gives some comprehensive group administration advice. This specific page may be pertinent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back