Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Look for a Visual FoxPro 9 book

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolfe

MIS
Jan 12, 2000
US
Can anyone recommend a good Visual FoxPro 9 book for programmers. I haven't been able to find much.

Redwolfe,

Depends on what level you are at, and what you are looking for.

You could start by checking the reviews at:

Also, if you already know VFP but want an overview of the new features in 9.0, try this:

If you're completely new to VFP (I don't think you are), none of the books are great. They all assume at least some existing knowledge. Also, most of the standard works are quite out of date now.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Can anyone recommend a good Visual FoxPro 9 book for programmers.

As Mike says, it really depends on the level of knowledge that the programmers have.

has the best selection of VFP books anywhere.

The best reference for programmers new to VFP is Fundamentals: Building Visual Studio Applications on a Visual FoxPro 6.0 Foundation. Even though it is a few versions old, the concepts still apply. If you are using version 9, just add What's New in Nine: Visual FoxPro's Latest Hits after finishing the fundamentals to get up to speed on the language enhancements since version 6.

If you want a good reference for intermediate level developers, in all modesty, I must recommend our books:

1001 Things You Wanted to Know About Visual FoxPro

and

MegaFox: 1002 Things You Wanted to Know About Extending VFP

They are how-to books that answer questions to specific programming problems with clear explanations and well-documented sample code.

Marcia G. Akins

Redwolf,
Have to agree with them there... I actually got a VFP6 "Study CD's" when 7.0 was out. What I have come to find is that 90% of 6 is true in all the versions going forward, and gives you enough of a foundation, so any VFP6+ book will give you the foundation. Its just a matter of understanding the "What's new", and there are certainly a few things, Like TRY CATCH, Storing DE's in Form Classes (though I still have not figured out how to do this...), TabletPC support (new to 9), lots of XML/SQL enhancments... You can pick those things up pretty easily though when you need them. (And TT is alway here!)

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back