Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long wait while saving user settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
When one particular user logs off, it can take up to five minutes to save user settings. I can't find any differences in the logins. Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks,
Rob

I have ran into this problem many times. I am not 100% sure of the problem, but a workaround that I used was to delete the Temporary Internet Files for that user in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\local settings.

I don't know why this causes a problem even if your not using roaming profiles. I have seen this problem on win2000 only, not NT. Dave Namou, MCSE CCEA

Have you tried reinstalling the client? I was going to try that. I am using win2000, but the client is running win95. Many of the users are using win95. I'll look in the temp. internet files. Thanks. Let me know if you find anything else. I'll do the same.

This is caused by the user having a large user profile. Even if the user doesn't have roaming profiles, a profile will be written to 'documents and settings\%username%'

Using explorer have a look at this users profile size. Temporary internet files can take up a large amount of space but you can restrict this with either policies (NT4) or group policy (W2K). If your users receive a published desktop, other causes could be that your user has placed a large file on their desktop instead of creating a short cut or they have saved a large amount of data in their 'My Documents' folder etc.

I checked the size of the user's folders and most were empty. So since the user is new, I deleted the account and recreated the user. Thanks for the help thought.

I've deployed mandatory profiles to users albeit with seamless apps. The profile's been stripped down to the bare minimum, coupled with a simple policy and this has improved both log on and log off speeds. Obviously, any changes made to the users environment are lost when they log off but to be honest this reduces overheads in dealing with profile issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back