Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Sync Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmagow

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
Solaris 8, HPOV 6.2.
I'm aware of the DNS issues that can cause this. I've brought up bind on the solaris machine, it running as a secondary to my most critical zone in the W2K main DNS server. My question regarding the long sync times, is this due to reverse look-up? Should I also secondary all my reverse look-up zones in the bind server? Any other areas to examine for this sync issue?
Unabashed Plug, Unix folks, get webmin, great tool. I had BIND running in a couple of mouse clicks. Plan to deploy on all my UNIX systems.

Hi there rmmagow, yes, it is a 'best practice' to use complete and consistent reverse-lookups zones, have you got any messages regarding "DNS performing poorly" under NNM?

Regards,
vlan52
[sunshine] vlan52
The end of wisdom is freedom. The end of culture is perfection. The end of
education is character. The end of knowledge is love.

Yes, in fact I have gotten a few of these messages in the past. Usually a few times in a row when it does occur. As for my current setup such as it is, I have my "real" inside dns servers running on W2K. The Reverse lookup zones were created there too. I brought up Bind on my solaris box, set up some secondary zones for both forward and reverse lookup, changed the solaris box to point to itself for dns. It does seem to be running better. Still a lot of syncing but it doesn't hold things up for minutes at a time like it did. It might be OK now although I'm surprised it would have trouble with the W2K dns since the two devices are on 100 Meg Ethernet and in the same switch (albeit different Vlans). Looking better than it has in weeks. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back