Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Single Beep at POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elway7

MIS
Apr 5, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a ml370 and on boot up i am getting a long loud beep that does not stop. I have re-seeded all the memory, and even removed all but the memory but the ones needed. I have also removed all the memory and the sound remains the same. I have also removed the primary processor and replaced it with the secondary processer and again no change.
Anyone have any idea what might be causing this issue? I thought it was a memory issue but find it hard to believe that all my memory sticks are bad. Also on the inside of the ml370 there are no amber lights next to the memory modules.

Thanks

Sounds very much like a memory issue. Are you sure you are using the correct memory for the box? Have you carefully inspected the memory slots.

here is the funny thing.
It had worked just fine. Then we unplugged the server and moved its location and this when it started.

I see, sounded more like an e-Bay score in your first post. As a general rule, moves can cause issues. If it were me, I would tear down the entire system and reseat averything. Also a thurough inspection to make sure a screw or some piece of electricity conducting hardware was not running around in there. A good thing to focus on would be the CPU VRMs.

You might want to try a quick power up without the backplane installed as well.

If all else fails, I think there is a clear NVRAM sequence via a jumper, although I doubt it would do much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back