Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Range Cordless Phone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblcrona

MIS
Jan 3, 2002
US
We have a 125,000 sq ft manufacturing facility and would like to purchase a long range cordless phone that will cover the entire area. We often have the need to talk on the phone while at a machine that is not near a phone outlet. It would be very convenient to have a phone that can be taken anywhere in the plant and transmit through walls and machinery/equipment. The only one I am aware of is the EnGenius SN-920 which is available theough Hello Direct and many other suppliers. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other similar phones? What will work best in this type of environment? Ken Johnson
ITT Industries, Engineered Process Solutions Group

I think you will find that the EnGenius does a good job.
We have a plant that is larger than yours. I located the base unit for the engenius as centraly as possible, we have a 2 story office unit out in the middle of the main area and I put it on the top. Coverage is quite good through out the facility. I was lucky enough to have a vendor that had a unit I could try before we bought.

Bobg1,

My other concern was noise. Do you have any problems being able to hear in noisy areas or with the person on the other end getting too much background noise? Ken Johnson
ITT Industries, Engineered Process Solutions Group

Engenius tends to be on the quiest side - only real problem. Engenius makes a 4 line unit. Mobicel makes a 4 line unit that has good volume. It has less range but works on multi antennas like a real cell phone. Companion is good too, good volume and the 3060 handset is durable. Expensive though. Another Engenius like phone is the Voyager.

PhM

Ken,
The default volume on the engenius is a bit low, but with it turned up it reaches an acceptable level for most areas.
I'm sure there are going to be some areas where the noise might get to high, but then that's probably true for anything. You can also get headsets to connect to them.

We use the EnGenius phone as well. When we tested it, just using handsets to communicate ( without the big base station antenna ) we got over 1 mile range before we started having any problems.

Robert

I have a client who installed the EnGenius system in an R&D facility of similar size to this scenario and also with high noise levels. Range and volume where fine but the user found the durability of the phone lacking. Even the ruggedized version had issues with the battery pack connection and the antenna. I see that they are now making a rubber case to protect the unit, I would suggest looking into those if you purchase the system.

We have a 66,000 sq ft building, for our call center and repair depot, were we use spectralink wireless phone system, which are very easily connect to our Nortel Opt 81. That work very will, you do have to set up base stations in the building. We install 4 to cover the building and parking lot.
You program up each cordless phone as a 2616 phone and cross connect from TN to (MCU) Master control unit from spectralink.
You can go to their web site at to look more information about the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back