Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long phone extension run with Nortel System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexcomnt

Instructor
Jul 12, 2007
US
What is the maximum cable lenght for a phone extension with the CICS and BCM 200 systems? We have 2 different cables that run over 1500'. The External C wire is not completely working, but the direct burial, shielded Cat5e appears to be working. The one (external C line) is doing the boot sequence in a continuous loop. Is there a booster or extender that can be used? We have data to that building but I would rather not use a powered IP phone in this environment. It is for a coal mine safety office.

Any set run longer than 300m requires a SAP attached to the phone. The maximum set run length w/ use of a SAP is 1200m.

Right... I've gotten them up over 1000' on cat3, but not by much. As Dasheen is saying, put a 24v dc pwr supply about halfway along the run on each pair.

If you have spare cable pairs, double them up for your long runs. Helps quite a bit.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back