Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

long file names

Status
Not open for further replies.

desanti

Programmer
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hi:I am using awk on my windows machine and it is great.i have a problem when trying to access files with long names:
i.e. c:/Program Files/Abcd/My Folder.the caps are correct and the spaces in the file names are correct.windows stores
the filename as:c\Progra~1\Abcd\Myshar~1 because of the 8 character constraint.any help would be appreciated.thank you.

.....and what is the AWK-related question?

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |
+----------------------------+

vgersh99: the question is how to access the file on the command line?awk returns an error saying it cannot access the file?i have tried a number of permutations but to no avail.obviously my syntax is incorrect,but how? see original question: the first reference to c: will not work
including the various different ways that i have tried.the second reference to c: is how i would reference it in windows/using dos. thanx again.

futurelet. thanx for your input and because of it i saw the error that i made.again thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back