Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Distance vs Local issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm5000

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2009
US
I've run into a strange problem.. One of the area codes in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is 972. From downtown Dallas, MOST 972 numbers are local calls... there are a handful that are long distance. (I have the same problem with 817... most are long distance, but a handful are local).

The problem I'm having is, ever since we switched from Sprint to AT&T for long distance this week, if we dial a local call with a 1 (91972.. etc) it doesn't go through..."We're sorry, the call cannot be completed as dialed." It has to be dialed without the 1. But, we don't know whether it's local or not until we try to call it.

We have an automated jury system that is supposed to automatically call jurors every day. It always dials a 1. I can't just put in a DMI to remove the 1 because then the few that are long distance won't work. Is there any way for a Meridian 1 Option 61C to differentiate between a local call and a long distance call if the area code is the same?

NANPA website should show you what 972NXX is local vs. LD, and you can setup ARRN with proper DMI accordingly.

Mato' Was'aka

I'm curious if on ALL 972 calls, you could omit the "1" from being sent. So, you would create SPNs (or NPAs) of 972 and 1972, but but the 1972 would strip the 1 before outpulsing.

If you needed a really quick fix, you could take 972 (and 1972) and put it in an RLI that would insert the AT&T Carrier Access Code (like 1010288) and tell Sprint if they cannot duplicate what you had before, they will have to cover your AT&T bill until they find a fix.

"It used to work" is often a good angle.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

It actually worked on Sprint and now that we're on AT&T they're pickier about whether we dial a 1 or not.

Almost all 972s are local so can't be dialed with a one. There are a handful that are out in the country that are long distance even though they have the same area code and require a 1.

Our 817 area code is different issue... some 817's are what I believe are called "Metro Lines" meaning, they're in Fort Worth but they're considered local calls to the entire Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex (it's a feature that the owner of that number pays extra for). I don't know how to tell if it's a metro line or not except to call it with a 1 and if I get the error, try it without the 1.

I did what you suggested for our area codes that are always local.. I have the SPN using no DMI and the NPA stripping out the 1. Works great for that.

The suggestion bigindian65 made sounds extremely promising, but I'm having a hard time navigating NANPA's website to find any useful information.

The front section of my local Windstream phone book has a 606-nxx chart of what is local/LD.....might be in yours, worth a look. However, those Dallas phonebooksssss wow. 4 books last time I was there and I couldn't read a damn number in it, too small..lol

Mato' Was'aka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back