Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Distance T1 vs Local T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dineshparikh

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
GB
Hi All,

what is the difeerence between Long Distance T1 and local T1? We are based in India and we have Long Distance T1s but throuhg which we are not able to dial Toll free Number in United States. My Service Provider says to Dial Toll free number we need to procure local T1.

Also is there any other way to Dial Toll free numbers in United States.

Rgds,
Dinesh

Had that problem at my last job. We had long distance T lines but needed a Local T line to generate the local dial tone for Toll free calls. Our LD carrier said they were unable to provide the tone for Toll free calls.

Jay

Yes, typically, toll free numbers will route out over local facilities. If you don't have a T-1 designed for local calling, you should be able to use any old copper trunking you have- if you have any left. I have 16 old analog copper trunks that serve as the last backup for many of our route patterns. They can also be used for toll free numbers.

There's two parts to this answer.
1) IXCs will only transport tollfree traffic that "belongs" to them. All tollfree traffic your long distance provider receives from you MUST be on their network (i.e. routing to a switch/trunk group/POTS line YOU own in the US and have arranged with them to terminate), or they will not be able to determine where the traffic must go.

2) If the tollfree call you send them does not belong on their network, they cannot transport the call. The Long Distance US Domestic switches use the National SMS database to determine who the underlying carrier for that traffic is - the Long Distance switches do not use any database to determine ULC.

And the IXCs in the US get very upset when another IXC terminates traffic that belongs to the first IXC.

The only way to get around it would be to have a US local access point, or arrange an ITFS contract with an International Carrier to send traffic to a US Local Exchange Carrier.

UITFS is offered by several international carriers - you can arrange US termination with them, either to a local carrier or long distance US carrier - but that long distance US carrier will only terminate traffic that belongs to them.

hope it helps.
Dwain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back