Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long distance ethernet bridging

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpadie

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
FR
Hi

i'm looking to bridge my network across roughly 15km. there is line of sight between the two proposed end-points. essentially this is a community project to bring adsl to an environment where the copper is too far away from the exchange for traditional adsl to carry.

I'm confused by the different options available however. my thoughts are that traditional 802.11n/b/a/g etc would not be the right kind of protocol for these long distance activities. you'd want at least a different QoS metric, surely?

and yet i see here that this kit is using 802.11a/b/g? (which i don't understand since 802.11b/g are 2.4GHz standards, are they not).

is this the right kind of kit for long distance ethernet bridging? should i be looking at something else? if so what (bearing in mind that as a community project budget is somewhere between tight and non-existant)!

thanks in advance
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back