Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

long distance dialing problem with Fax User

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyone60

Technical User
May 31, 2005
US
Trying to send fax out of word doc and using "NortelFax" but system will not let me dial long distance number. I can dial a 9 + seven digit number, it just will not let me dial a 9 + 1 + 10 digit number.

Also, I have auth code requirement in the 81c but I never get the beeps to request auth code number either..

make sure the beep is set up right on the call pilot agents.. that and or the rpl in the cp server will block ld.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I have checked the rpl and it seems to be set to allow long distance.

Can you elaborate a little on 'beep' ??? Are you referring to a tone setting in the Call Pilot ports on the switch??

Call Pilot 2.5 will not permit the use of auth codes in the dialing sting within Nortel faxing.

I spent two days with my distributor trying every combination of dialing strings to make faxing to LD numbers work through Call Pilot only to find out from Nortel that it won't work. At first I thought I must have been the only customer that used authorization codes becuase I couldn't understand why this inability was such a surprise to everyone. And I purchased extra fax licenses before I found out it wouldn't work.

I don't know if CP 4.0 has resolved this or not.

Thanks, 'thecanadian'
I have 4.0 call pilot and have not been able to get it to work yet. Still trying to figure out how to make a 1+10 digit call without auth codes first then will tackle the auth code issue also..... I can not believe Nortel did not realize people use auth codes in phone systems,,,duh

I have been through some of this. The issue I had with auth codes was trying to insert the pauses needed (as commas) in the nortel fax printer (where you put the phone number). We finally determined that this will not work if you have an ISDN PRI (it ignores the commas or considers them invalid don't remember which). We ended up installing BARs on our switch so that we could use a higher NCOS number on the fax phantoms that would bypass the need for auth codes while faxing. It took me literally months to get all of this working a couple of years ago. As far as the long distance goes it probably has something to do with the configuration on the phantom. If you have an analog card I would create a 500 (analog) phone and get LD working on that and then would create the 500 (phantom) with most of the same configuration on it.

We do not have ISDN PRI, these go out T-1 circuits but still have the same issue. If the phone system can dial it, then Nortel should have made the call pilot to be able to send it out with auth code....

I also had to do it with BARS and bypass the auth code. But I consider this to be unacceptable. This creates a problem with CCR since we use the auth code to bill back to departments who make the long distance calls.

I do not understand why a company that has a product with Auth code feature would have another product they want you to connect to it but then does not provide the ability to use the auth code feature with it.. this is just Very bad planning/programming if you ask me. And it should not be that hard to fix, but so far Nortel says "no deal" and does not plan on working on a fix to allow it

Another work around that we did was to install 1-2 copper trunks dedicated to LD dialing for faxes. Use TGARs in BARS on the CP ports to be sure they are the only ones that can access those trunks. Then the auth codes will work.

Thanks, I will try the 1fb option, we do have Nortel ticket in thru our vendor and they are investigating this again in our switch. If I get a good answer from them I will pass it on to ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back