Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long delay changing report design in Access 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaret

Instructor
Jun 19, 2002
I have been using Access since version 2.0. I'm currently on Access 2007 on Windows 7 (Release Candidate: Build 7100). When I modify an Access report design and preview it, it takes over 2 minutes to either save the report or go back to Design view. Is this an Access 2007 problem or could it be a Windows 7 thing?

Tough to say at this point. Do you have a local printer defined? It does not need to be attached. This has caused similar issues with previous versions of Access.

(RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP acXP ac07 winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

I have this issue when working on client-side app which is linked to a back-end on the network. If I link to a copy of the back-end on my hard drive, saves are fast.

[purple]If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research [blue]database development[/blue], would it? [tab]-- Albert Einstein[/purple]​

I had a similar problem in Access 2000 and, IIRC, Name Auto-Correct was the culprit.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Remove auto-correct and look for the hotfix that addresses slow network performance, that worked for me.

Thanks! How do I change the IIRC, Name Auto-Correct settings?

Okay, I went into Access Options: Proofing: Auto-Correct Options and unchecked everything. I compacted the database, closed Access entirely, then restarted it. There is still a 2 minute delay when I change the Record Source of a report.

Also, this is not limited to report design. I had to update a native table and it took 2 minutes to get back to the Table view. All tables are local and I have three linked tables but all data is on my laptop, not on a network.

Any other ideas?

RG asked if you had a local printer defined in Windows? Why not reply?

I would try a number of different printers to see if any changes affect the speed to report design.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I think we're talking about something else. Unfortunately the term "autocorrect" is so appealing, so marketable, that MS has used it in several contexts.

In 2003, you go to Tools > Options > tab: General. Under "Name AutoCorrect," un-check "Perform name AutoCorrect." Most reports indicate you can leave "Track" checked with no problem. I am happy to have it unchecked currently.

[purple]If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research [blue]database development[/blue], would it? [tab]-- Albert Einstein[/purple]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back