Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Delay Accessing Network Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdriver

Instructor
Apr 25, 2002
US
ccdriver (Instructor) Jan 28, 2003
On a Windows 2000 server, I've shared a folder with several folders within the main folder.

[The network uses AD but the server in question, is just a file server.]

A particular folder contains many .jpg photos. Beginning yesterday, when I try to access the "photo" folder from my XP Pro computer, there is a very long delay (over a minute) to access these photos.

I tried from a Win98 computer and another XP Pro computer using a different log on (account) and was able to access them instantly.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot this. (For what it's worth, I've changed the attributes of these photos to "READ ONLY" so that they are not overwritten when edited.)

Thanks in advance.

This I think that is an XP issue. Eg: if you are having in XP explorer the settings to see tumbnails, then it will take a while because the system is trying to cache them.
So, possible to be because of such a cache, or can be because of an antivirus running there. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I tried from a Win98 computer and another XP Pro computer using a different log on (account) and was able to access them instantly.
Try deleting the account and re-creating it.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back