Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Delay Accessing Network Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdriver

Instructor
Apr 25, 2002
US
On a Windows 2000 server, I've shared a folder with several folders within the main folder.

[The network uses AD but the server in question, is just a file server.]

A particular folder contains many .jpg photos. Beginning yesterday, when I try to access the "photo" folder from my XP Pro computer, there is a very long delay (over a minute) to access these photos.

I tried from a Win98 computer and another XP Pro computer using a different log on (account) and was able to access them instantly.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot this. (For what it's worth, I've changed the attributes of these photos to "READ ONLY" so that they are not overwritten when edited.)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I posted the original question in the Windows 2000 Desktop area by mistake. I have since posted it in the Windows 2000 Server area where it belongs.

Is there a way for me to remove my post?

We just ran across this also, and found that in an Explorer window, going to Tools / Folder Options, under the General tab, that if you select Use Windows Classic instead of Enable WEB view, that this helped browsing Network shares. Microsoft has confirmed this in Q article 265396. They state this will be addressed in SP4, but this is a good work around for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back