Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long conduite runs causing problems?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frinkk

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
CA
Has anyone experienced fail results when cat5E or cat6 is run in long conduite runs.
I've heard of only 1 so far with cat6. When it was pulled out & run outside the conduite it passed. Unfortunately I did not find out which pararmeter it failed but I would assume cross talk or return loss.
Lodgically I could see the signal being reflected back from the conduite inducing noise. We are running unshielded twisted pair, would not the conduite act like an echo chamber?

Of course it would have to be a combination of:
1) a long conduite run
2) conduite too small in relation to the number of cables inside

Can anyone, without a doubt, tell me that this cannot occure, that it had to be something else or has anyone has a similar experience.

Thank-You

Bruce

Sounds like the runs are being held too "parallel" to each other. From what I've read, you want the cables in a bundle to actually randomly wrap around each other and be a little tangled. If you "comb" them for really nice appearance (like you see in cable raceway ads) you actually reduce performance because there is more crosstalk betowen cables. Also, bundles run along a wall or ceiling by rings are supposed to have the rings spaces unequally for similar reasons.

Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back