Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

long character storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcale4

Programmer
Aug 31, 2004
US
Hello,

I have a general question around the handling of columns with 2000+ characters. I have an ASP page with several textareas where the user can enter more than 2000 characters. When the user pulls an "existing" page with these textareas filled out, there is obviously a bottleneck. I have used Ajax a little to reduce the amount of data that gets transfered back to the client, but are there other things that I can do from a back-end perspective to try and speed up the retrieval of those records? Will storing the data as a CLOB reduce/increase the access time on those records?

Thanks!

You could increase the prefetchsize associated with the tablespace which contains the table with the large varchar columns in them. Also check the bufferpool is big enough to hold the pre-fetched data.

What is the format of those columns? You can store BLOB's in a separate tablespace. It must be DMS though.
BTW macehil, BLOB's are not buffered in the bufferpool.

Truusvlugindewind, To clarify:-

jcale4 asked how he could speed up the handling of a column containing 2000+ characters. He then goes on to enquire if CLOBs would help improve performance. My reply didn't address the 2nd CLOB question. You can store up to 32768 characters in a varchar column of a table, so long as the tablespace which the table is located in is 32K in size. In this situation, increasing the prefetchsize will improve performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back