Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long Back Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakspeer

MIS
Jun 10, 2009
GB
i am having problems with back up exec. its taking far too long. i've narrowed it down to this:

"When we back up files from SERVER1 the throughput rate ranges from about 346 MB/min to 1405 MB/min but when we back up from SERVER2 the throughput rate is about 47.3 MB/min. Why is there so much of a difference?"

SERVER2 is another server which is located on the network. its not the SQL because we get the SQL to spit out back up files and then we back up the spat out files.

the only thing stored on SERVER2 is files, well about 30GB of files.

i just cant get my head roung why the throughput rate is so low when getting stuff off SERVER2 but when getting stuff off SERVER1 its completely different.

Anyone who can help?

both servers have 1gbps connection. and SERVER1 is the system which backup exec is installed on

What are you backing up to (a local tape drive, a backup-to-disk folder, etc)?

Since Server1 is your media server (Backup Exec host), it is expected that it will be much faster, since it does not need to transfer the data over the network, but transfers it directly to your backup media.
Server2 needs to transfer the data over multiple hops: Server2 -> Server1 -> backup media

There are other factors as well, such as:
Are the servers running similar hardware, or is Server1 much faster than Server2?
Have you monitored Server2's performance while the backup is occuring (are other processes, such as a conflicting Antivirus realtime scanner, consuming the CPU?
Have you patched Backup Exec to the latest Service Pack and hotfix?

One thing that will slow down any backup no matter the connection is not the size of the files but how many files. 100,000 10k files will take much longer to backup then 1000 1M files.

John Sorensen
Network/Systems Admin

You might also look at your virus software. Make sure its not doing on-access scanning of the files as they are backed up.

Another thought as well, lots of files and bad drive fragmentation on server2, Also the network switches could be misconfigured causing a slow throughput
All the best

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back