Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logout users after exiting a program

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedPath

Technical User
Oct 6, 2007
CA
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding how to go about having a user who logs into a workstation (on a DC AD network) that is not 'theirs' automatically have a program ran (in this case VNC Client back to their actual workstation), then after they close the VNC session, have it automatically log them out of the workstation they are using.

I've managed to get it to the point where the logon script knowns if they are at their own designated workstation or if they are logging in from another computer (by checking their dedicated IP address) and if they are not logged in from their normal IP, it runs the VNC client and connects back to their normal workstation (using their AD account as credentials).
However, once they close VNC, they are left sitting at the new account desktop that was created for them when they logged into the new computer.
Also, the first time they log into a workstation that is not theirs, they have to go through the process of 'take windows XP tour, bla bla bla' new account creation stuff, while VNC Client is also connecting.

Is there a way to:

1. Make it so a new desktop / account is not created when a user logs into a computer that is not theirs? Or at least maybe create the account, but not run all that 'first time' welcome to windows, etc... stuff?

2. Automatically logout the user from windows when they close a program (VNC client)

Here's an example of a users logon script batch file:

@ECHO OFF

IPCONFIG | FIND "192.168.205.178" > NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO remote1
echo THIS IS YOUR COMPUTER
net use w: \\dc1\public
net use x: \\dc1\%USERNAME%
net use k: \\192.168.205.201\sales /user:kate flyingcolours
net use z: \\nts\c /user:administrator ra
exit

:remote1
echo NOT YOUR PC LOADING VNC
C:\Progra~1\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe -connect 192.168.205.178

Thanks for looking!
I hope that made some sense.

P.S. If it doesn't, it may help explain my thinking to know I'm a firefighter in a small department, and since I know a bit about computers, that automatically elevated me to 'IT guy'... like it or not. haha

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back