Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logons with different user name that are not the owner mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amilyag

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2003
US
In Exchange 5.5 and under The Logons, I am showing different users name logoning on to the mailboxes that they are not the owner of. I do not think that those useres are accessing those mailboxes. Could they be other explainations as to why these names show up as accessing the mailbox. Your help will be greatly appreciaited.

delegates? or perhaps an attempt by one user to open another user's calendar?

Thank you for your reply. What if that user does not have any delegates addes and does not share her Calender.

actually, even if another user doesn't have rights to open the calendar, the attempt to do so will be registered in exchange admin as the last person to access the mailbox.

brontosaurus is correct. In addition to delegates and basic calendar access, you will see Event 1016 in Application log: "NT User Domain/1stUser'sLogonName logged on to 2ndUserLogonName mailbox, and is not the primary Windows NT account on the mailbox":

1. If you have Outlook configured to schedule resources (such as conference rooms, laptops, etc.) this allows users to access mailbox calendars to (a) check another person's or a resource's availability, or (b) enter and send a booking request to mailbox calendars.

2. When (a) backing up a series of individual mailboxes using a program like ARCserve or (b) during an on-demand virus scan of the information store multiple mailboxes will be accessed, and you will see a system account as the repeated logon name in cases 2 a & b for the sequence of mailboxes in the log.

I tried to access a user's mailbox and calendar and when i go to look in logons in Private Information Store in Exchange 5.5 i do not see my name as accessing her mail box. Why cann't i get it to register my name as the last user to access her box?

Yes I refreshed the view. I also looked at the event log and the event was recorded however it does not show up in the logons screen.

Send them a meeting request. When you create one, it makes an event saying that you accessed their mailbox.

That is because you are able to check their availability for that meeting.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back