Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon server cannot be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdylan

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
We have a WAN in place at the moment and everything was working OK. This week however I am starting to get a message whenever I try to browse the server at the other site. I can see all the machines on that domain but when I try to browse the server the above message comes up. Our other sites in the WAN are functioning normally so it is a complete mystery at the moment.

Any ideas??

You didn't list the error message? Give me the message and maybe we can help.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Sorry about that, the actual error message is in fact the title of this thread - "\\Server is not accessible - The logon server cannot be found". Hope this helps...Thanks

What type of server is on the other side of the WAN? NT server?

Can you ping or map a drive to the server? Can the remote server ping you?

What role does the remote server play? BDC? Memember server?

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

I've had similar problems but I'm not sure how your network compares to mine. In my particular case I think I had to add a static WINS 1Ch entry on the PDC of the trusting domain with the IP address of the PDC on the trusted domain. We do this because we don't allow WINS replication between the trusted and trusting. I also reviewed the firewall logs and opened up all the netBIOS ports between the two domain controllers (135, 136, 138, 139).

The other server is an NT4. I am able to ping the server no problem but I can't map a drive to it. The users at the other end can browse the network here without any probs.

The other server is in a domain of its own and 2-way Trusts are set up on both servers (and have been for several months)

what happens if you
- configure the WINS record
(or at least make sure all clients and servers are using WINS and are registered with WINS)

then perform a net view \\ip_address_of_remote_server

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Thanks everyone but is seems that a simple re-boot of the server at this end solved it - typical Microsoft!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back