Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon scripts not working in NT domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosie2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
I have a Windows NT domain with a PDC and two BDCs. All have latest service packs and patches. All of the sudden the login.bat script has quit working during login on all Windows 2000 Professional client machines. Strangely enough the login.bat script works on all client machines running Windows XP Professional. I have gone to several W2K client machines and have manually ran the login script from both the PDC and BDCs which worked fine. Please help!!!

So the script is being run on a NT 4 Server(s), correct? What has been changed?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes both PDC and BDCs are running NT 4.0. Nothing has really changed but I think some sort of corruption has occurred. I ran the following test. Created a new user. Deleted an account that was not running the login.bat script. Renamed the new account the same as the deleted account. Logged into the domain and the login.bat script ran. I am unsure which database is corrupted, but this seems to have fixed the problem. It is still unclear to me why it would work fine on a Windows XP workstation but not a Windows 2000 Pro one. Do you know of a better way to fix this database corruption issues? It appears that by deleting and renaming a new account it creates a new profile on a Windows 2000 machine. This is headache as I would have to move files etc from a users old profile to their new one. Thanks.

Sounds like something occured on the domain end, and the 2000 computers didn't respond well. Creating new local profiles on the desktops appears to take care of the issue.

Welcome to the NT world. I would also check for virus activity, and monitor those servers event logs.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back