Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logon scripts not applying from child domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandak7

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have domain A (WINDOWS 2003) and a Child domainB (WINDOWS 2000). I can logon to domain from client computer ( windows 2000 pro) and able to get gpo and logon scripts to map drives only when domain A or Domain A and B is up and running. I want to establish a fault tolrence so that I should be able to logon and obtain scripts when domain A is down and Domain B is up.

Whats happening is I am able to logon using my client computer to domain A even when the domain A is down and my problem is I am not getting the logon scripts to my client computer.

I can see the logon scripts at child domain B under sysvol and I dont know why the client computer is not receiving the logon scripts. I can see gpo's are applied while domain A is down and why not the logon scripts? Both the domains are in the same network. Any help is appreciated
Thanks
k7

>> Whats happening is I am able to logon using my client computer to domain A even when the domain A is down and my problem is I am not getting the logon scripts to my client computer.

If there's no domain controller for the domain then or course group policy won't apply - there's nowhere to get it from. The only reason you can logon at all is because the credentials are cached. Try loggon onto the client PC, while the domain is down, using an account that has never logged onto that PC before - you'll get an error message saying the domain is currently unavailable.

Are you sure you need a trust setup? You said you want full fault tolerance so that if one domain is down, you can logon to the other. Surely, all you need then is one domain with two DC's instead? Unless you have two different organizations, or sections of an organization, with different needs then do you really need two domains?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back