Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Scripts For VPN Remote Users - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sageturkey

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have a VPN Server set up on XP Pro and am connecting with XP Pro and Win2k clients.
I'm trying to do the usual map drive routine and ran into the "login scripts don't run for remote users" wall and have looked for options.
I have a .vbs script file that can be ran from the client PC once the connection is established to do the job, but I'd rather see it done automatically.
What is the gosh-darn easiest way to do this?
And then maybe the second easiest?
I don't have 2000 server, so CMAK is not an option?
Thanks in advance

I don't have 2000 server, so CMAK is not an option?

Sure it is! You can download the adminpak.msi from Microsoft which will install on WXP.
Copy the adminpak.msi to your system32 folder. Open a command prompt, cd to the system32 folder and type

msiexec /i adminpak.msi ADDLOCAL=FeCMAKConsole /qb

Should get you all set to go.

Although this version of the CMAK will only run on XP, the connections created will install on older versions.

The adminpak.msi for W2K doesn't seem to be directly available, but you can still get it if you need to run on a W2K Pro system.

Download the latest W2K service pack to a W2K computer. Start the install process. Once all of the files are verified and unpacked, you should be at the Service Pack Setup Wizard. Let it go to the background and open the folder that the SP files were unpacked to. If you aren't sure where to find the folder, do a search for a file named adminpak.msi. Either way, copy that file to your system32 folder. At this point, finish up the SP install (or cancel it). Follow the installation instructions for XP above.

Awesome! Almost got the job done, the .vbs script runs a little too fast after login and can't find the share. I tried a quick batch file, but it times out before the share is available to be mapped. If I run either the batch or the script after waiting a few more seconds they map the drive, so I know they're working. Looks like I need to add a 6 second wait or so to either the batch or the script and I should be set.

Thanks Again!

Another Question for the VPN Gods, thanks to mhkwood for the last pointer to CMAK! It's working great!
As the VPN testing continues, I'm now getting an error 937 when multiple users try to connect.
Did I miss something in the setup?

sageturkey

937 ??? That doesn't sound at all familiar. Where are you seeing it, and is there any text provided with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back