Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon script wont run unless the user is a local admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinshouerj

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
US
I am trying to implement logon scripts using group policy in a Windows 2003 domain. The clients are Windows 2000 pro. I tried doing wsh and .bat scripts. They will run only if I add the user to the local admin group. Is there any way to run them if the user is not a local admin?

First test to verify that this is really the case. Try manually executing the script from a network share. Most likely the problem is that the security on the GPO is set to not have the GPO that holds the script apply to the user.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the reply! Ran the scripts from a network share. The wsh script said access denied. The .bat file mapped all drives and gave an error when trying to connect a network printer. I guess that you need to have local admin rights to do this. Is there any way to alow wsh scripts to run even if the user is not a local admin? We currently have everyone set as local admins but want to change this because some users are installing unsupported software.

They route I may have to go is to just map drives and connect everyones printers manually.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Users do not need to be local admins for scripts to run. More likely the problem is that the resources they are trying to attach to have not been granted to them.

Just to be certain, post your script and I'll take a look at it, but while I'm doing that you should check both Share and NTFS permissions.

For the printers, as long as they are network printers then your users should not need to have admin rights unless the drivers are not already installed on the computer.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

It turns out that I have to have them as a local admin for some of the applications to function properly. We can at list lock down some things with group policy. everything is working well. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back