Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon script question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyonmt

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2001

I have a Windows 2000 network with Win98 Clients and I want to have one generic logon script. Each user has their own directory though. I have researched the archives here and scoured the internet. Most people write that you can just use %USERNAME%.
i.e.
net use h: \\server\%username% in the logon script
but this will not work. I researched more and found that this requires winset.exe to be in the users PC under windows\system as well as in the netlogon directory. I did install the program in both directories and that didn't work. I found a tech article on Microsoft's site which explains this long process of creating batch files, script files, and text files. I did this and it did not work.

Does anybody know how I can make this work? I would really appreciate any/all help.

Almost forgot, I downloaded kixtart and put thos files in the netlogon directory also. -didn't work. :-(

If you plan on using Kix (which is really a wonderful product), then start reading the manual included with Kix... it will show you how to set up the login scripts and keep them generic (= 1 login script for all users) ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Simply creating logon scripts and placing them in the netlogon shares does not cause users to run them. Each UserID has to be told what to run.

Through your user manager in the MMC, you need to specify user by user what the name of the logon script is. Open a user, click the Profile tab and enter the name of the script. (You can probably select multiple users at one for this operation.)
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Peterve,

(off the topic) are you using Kixtart in a pure Windows 2000 domain environment? I love Kixtart but am unsure that it will work properly in a pure Windows 2000 domain.

I think Microsoft is moving to WHS (Window Scrit Host.) VB scripting (Which I suck at)..

please let me know...

Thanks Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

oh yes it works alright in Win2K... great product !! ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

I thought the Windows 2000 Kixtart (Release Canidate 3) was meant for a Windows 4.0 domain that has Windows 2000 client machines?

But I guess if you say it works great...then it works great!

Thanks for the information... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

(More Questions) What about all this WHS talk? Using VB or Jscript for logon scripts... anyone know the advantages? Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

basically, it's more powerful
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

peterve (IS/IT--Manageme) Nov 29, 2001
If you plan on using Kix (which is really a wonderful product), then start reading the manual included with Kix... it will show you how to set up the login scripts and keep them generic (= 1 login script for all users)

- I downloaded it, so I do not have the manual. I wish it was that easy.

-----------------------------------------------

MasterRacker (MIS) Nov 29, 2001
Simply creating logon scripts and placing them in the netlogon shares does not cause users to run them. Each UserID has to be told what to run.

Through your user manager in the MMC, you need to specify user by user what the name of the logon script is. Open a user, click the Profile tab and enter the name of the script. (You can probably select multiple users at one for this operation.)

- I already have and I am using the logon scripts. The problem is that I have a hundred users and a hundred logon scripts. I want to make two logon scripts a common user script and an Admin script.

it is possible with kix
send me a mail and I will return with a sample of a generic login script... ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

You can also download the manual from their website.

It is impossible to create the scripts without the manual.

There are also some sample scripts that it offers for suggestions.

Just remember that if you are using win2k servers, you have to create groups and put people into those groups according to the resources they need access to.

-Jason

I had the Same sort of problem. Drives would not map when using the net use command. I've since switched to kixtart and it works.

this is the line of code that I use to map our user dir.

Code:
use U: "\\ourserver\" + @userid

The user dir must be shared or else it won't map.
If you need help using Kixtart I can help.

First off, Thanks to everybody for your input. I appreciate the help. Secondly, here's what I had to do:

Setup: KIXTART for Windows 2000 X-)

1. Download Kixtart from: 2. Install kix32.exe, kx16.dll, kx32.dll and winset.exe to the netlogon directory.
3. Create a temporary logon batch file to copy these files to the users computers.
i.e.
copy S:\HOL_PUBLIC\Logon\winset.exe c:\windows\system
copy S:\HOL_PUBLIC\Logon\kix32.exe c:\windows\system
copy S:\HOL_PUBLIC\Logon\kx16.dll c:\windows\system
copy S:\HOL_PUBLIC\Logon\kx32.dll c:\windows\system

4. Create a logon script and save it as a batch file.
i.e.
c:\windows\system\kix32.exe script1.scr

5. Create a Kixtart script and save it with the extension .scr
i.e.
USE H: "\\servername\@userid"
EXIT

6. After I was satisfied that all users had the neccesary files loaded onto their PC’s, I updated the common batch file to resemble the one in line #4.
7. The end result is a Logon batch file (#4) and a Kixtart script (#5).

*:->*

I run an NT Domain with Mostly NT Workstations, howevr I do have a few Win 98 PC's.

I make everyone run a batch file called Auto.bat, you need to add this to the users details, Profile, the contents are:

@echo off
\\servername\netlogon\kix32 \\servername\netlogo\kix32.scr

I have not copied any files to the clients and it works fine every time.

I also added a couple of other commands to the batch file to clean local files, update the virus checker and display a system status message.

Paul Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back