Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh707

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
Am a newbie to XP home edition after using win 98, win 95 and win3.1. When I first installed xp everything was fine as far as opening windows. It is my personal computer and no other users so I did not need to logon. Then all of a sudden the screen comes up stating I need to logon with no place to do it. If i do the ctrl/alt/del a couple of times it brings me to the window where I just hit ok - without entering any information and I get in just fine. Is there some way to get it back to how it was where I don't have the logon problem? Many thanks...

I'm not sure what caused this behaviour change but you might want to have a look in user accounts from control panel and check the logon and logoff options.
Hope this helps ....

Do you have a password assigned to this user account? If so when you get to the XP login screen you should see your user name, if you click on that it will prompt you for a password. If there is no users showing up here it is possible that you deleted your user and have to log into the PC as an administrator, and chances are you didn't set a password for that either. What you want to do to fix this is to add a user and assign it no password. Reboot, and it should log that user in if it is the only user on the PC and does not have a password.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or does not fix the problem. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

Perhaps just using System Restore to go back to a point where you were happy could fix this problem.

You could also type control userpasswords2 in the Run box and in the resulting window uncheck the option that users have to logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back